Skip to main content

(17) We need to talk...about EDITING of course!!

 


Did you miss me guys, haha just kidding I don't care if you did...they don't pay me enough for this guys...Haha, alrighty, LETS GET STRAIGHT INTO SOME NEW CONTENT!! 

Alright today I've got for you some content about editing, it's rather long so I'll break it up into two bite sized blogs for you all. So for this blog I'll be discussing with you continuity editing systems, noncontinuity editing systems, shot/reverse shot, eyeline match, graphic match, and finally action match, wow that was a mouth full wasn't it haha...no not like that, haha alright lets move on to the finer details shall we

Continuity Editing Systems:

This is a style of editing where the director attempts to make the film reality as much like the audience's reality as possible, so basically they are trying to make it as real as possible. This is to help the audience better comprehend and understand the action happening on screen. It focuses on narrative continuity and as such it evolved and became popular amongst realist feature films developed in Hollywood. It is still the dominant convention in mainstream film and television. Cuts are intended to be smooth and natural without interrupting the flow of the film, with exception for special dramatic shots.​

Noncontinuity Editing Systems:

Unlike continuity editing systems, noncontinuity systems as you can guess are when shots are mismatched to disrupt the impression of time and space within a film. This draws the audiences' attention to the process of cutting and disturbs the illusion of 'reality'. An example is the use of flash backs in films.

Shot/Reverse Shot:

Simply put shot/reverse shot is a film technique where one character is shown looking at another character, and then the other character is shown looking back at the first character. Since the characters are shown facing in opposite directions, the viewer assumes that they are looking at each other.​ For example in the image you can assume Batman and Joker are looking at each other based on the way they are facing each other in each separate shot.

Eyeline Match:

To even understand what this means let me tell you what eyeline is, eyeline is simply where the actors are looking while acting in the scene. As such eyeline match is a film editing technique to indicate to the audience what a character is seeing. Eyeline match simulates for the audience that they’re looking at something through the eyes of the character. Eyeline match also ensures continuity of the characters’ gazes. It as well gives the illusion that the two characters are looking at each other makes it clear in scenes with multiple characters who is looking at whom. This is achieved through having the actor focus on a mark—usually a pink X next to the camera lens— when shooting close ups. Characters are shown talking to one another in a wide shot, and then in the close up they look at the camera from the same angle that they previously looked at the other character, and the shots are intercut in post-production.
 
Graphic Match ("match cut"):

Basically the match cut is a effective and popular way to transition to scenes while keeping continuity. It is done with two similar graphics for example lets say a poker chip and my eye, they are similar in shape so a transition forward or backwards in time is smoother, it can also be used to create metaphorical links between the two visuals, for example lets say it transitions from my eye to the poker chip after I just gambled away my life saving, this could metaphorically show how gambling is on my mind. As such it can serve comedic, dramatic, or a purely ideological purpose. ​

Action Match:

Wow we are already at the end, I can feel my creativity absolutely drained, but lets move forward. Our last term is the action match, luckily for me this is a quick one, let me explain. This is basically a film and video editing technique where the editor cuts from one shot to another view that matches the first shot's action. A common example is a man walking up to a door and reaching for the knob.​ Simple right? Of course it was!!

Well now that's all the time I have for today!! A new blog however will be coming out very soon, so look forward to part 2!!


Anyways, Thanks for Reading!! 

*Title Picture made using Canva
*Pictures generously sourced from free online materials (seriously)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(63) But wait...there's more!! Creative Critical Reflection #1

  The end is nigh. Welcome back guys, well now that we've finished our magazine, let's reflect on this journey! So this is one of four critical reflections that I will be doing! Within each of these I will be answering and reflecting on a question about our magazine. So for today, How does your product use or challenge conventions and how does it represent social groups or issues?     Well to answer the first part of this question, let me put it simply, my magazine consists of all the basic conventions of a magazine. It includes a masthead, a main image, cover lines, a date line, a barcode, and a price. Throughout the production process of this magazine I was inspired by many different magazines like Men's Journal and Playboy Magazine. In the cover page, the first thing you notice is my masthead. The masthead is the title of a magazine located at the top of the cover page. I used font hierarchy to determine what I wanted the viewer to see first. I called the magazine Menl...

(30) It's not about the GRA...anatomy of page DEsign part 2!!!

  *Dying* argh...totally worth...the joke...*dies* If you can appreciate that statement for it's depth then you have great perception. I hope these aren't all flying over your head, anyways let's get back to...work...I MEAN FUN LEARNING!! You believing that right? You said no? Good, I don't wanna pretend, let's get straight to it, today I will be covering the remaining terms I see as critical to understand when discussing the anatomy of page design. So to recap I will be discussing body text, images, and graphics today. Let us begin! Body Text: The body text is basically the main text content of an article or feature within a magazine. This text is typically set in a readable font and size, and is positioned in a way that allows the reader to easily scan and read through the content.  The body text is an important part of the overall design of a magazine page, as it provides the main information and content for the reader. In terms of page design, the body text is t...

(22) Hey I got something for you...Magazine Types

  Your back? I didn't think you'd be back to be honest, not quite sure what to do from here, didn't really plan to get this far...hmm, I mean since your already here I guess I can show you something new. Let me see here *looks through collection of hundreds of drafted blog ideas for the year*, ah here is a good one, lets go over Magazine Types!! So today I'll be discussing magazine types with you, lets begin!!! There are 3 main types of magazines that most other magazines fall under as sub-categories, today I'll discuss both in ONE blog, enjoy; CONSUMER MAGAZINES; Our first type of magazine is consumer magazines, the target audience for these types of magazines are the general public and have the widest readership of the 3 types. Some popular examples of this type of magazine are Vogue, Sports Illustrated, and Reader's Digest, most of which we've mentioned in previous blogs. They are commonly printed on glossy papers and as such are often referred to by peop...